Sunday, July 3, 2011

Arctic Jeep Expedition - My Day 4


July 3, 2011

Subject:  My Day 4 – Arctic Jeep Expedition

For the Arctic Jeep expedition I carried a laptop computer in a Pelican 1500 case to keep it clean and safe.  In addition to the laptop and power cord many other items found its way into the pelican case like the camera 110V charger and upload cable; Garmin GPS cables; spare reading glasses; droid phone charger; must have owner’s manual for the Hero Pro cam; a Flip Video recorder; flash drives; spare screen protectors for the droid; 12V charger with USB insert; spare lithium AA batteries; and an iTunes music charger.  Today what I found missing was AAA lithium batteries for the Hero Pro cam without them I was not able to capture any whitewater rafting footage.  Earlier today I videotaped my drive up the Go the Sun highway and a bear just off the road eating her breakfast.    

Today I also rafted the middle fork of the Flathead River (49.00) military rate.  According to the guide it is still one of the few truly wild designated rivers in the country.  We were in Class III and IV rapids today.   A rating of one (1) being bath water and six (VI) being Niagara Falls water.   Last night I camped and this morning before most anyone was out I drove about 14 miles of the Going to the Sun road.  This is a beautiful drive along the 17 mile Lake McDonald that is at an altitude of 3200 feet.  This highway ascends up to the Continental Divide before making its way up to Logan Pass, at 6680 feet.  The road was closed at fourteen miles due to road construction but they offered a bus service to the Logan Pass – I passed and came back out of the park for breakfast. 

After the rafting trip I ate a 3rd of July lunch next door at the Rawhide Restaurant.  The 4th of July one day early lunch special was pulled pork, fries, beans and a draft beer for $10.00.  Now that was a bargain.  Next to me were some Canadians who took an interest in my trip.  One of the ladies recommended a do not miss stop at Liard Hot Springs.  I said that seems to be my theme so far as I’ve stopped at two hot springs so far – Mystic at Monroe, Utah and Crystal at Honeyville, Utah. 

A quick look at my Alaska Milepost Travel planner and it tells me that across from the Historic Mile 496 milepost is the Liard River  Hot springs Provincial park that has long been a favorite stop for Alaska Highway travelers.  Camping and use of the hot springs is just $19.00 but according to the guidebook beware of bears.  I guess it’s because to get to the pools there is a short walk involved that crosses wetlands environment that supports more than 250 boreal forest plants, including 14 orchid species and 14 plants that survive at this latitude because of the hot springs.  Water temperature 108 degrees. Next caution on the road – watch out for buffalo.      

Below is a picture of Cafe Rider on his documentary expedition.  He is signing my Los Angeles Club Adventurers Flag.
              

No comments:

Post a Comment