Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Day 35 – Jeep Expedition – Carson Mineral Hot Springs & Portland Visit


Subject:  My Day 35 – Jeep Expedition – Carson Mineral Hot Springs & Portland Visit 
Snoqualmie Falls, WA - This morning at o’dark thirty (0515) I departed the Tim & Sonejan household saying my good-bye’s the night before hitting the road from Snoqualmie Falls to Portland, Oregon.   No need to pack, just open eyes, get dressed, bathroom stop and go without waking up the household.  Before long the jeep is cruising down the highway and I begin to view Washington state from my rearview mirror. 
Five days is the most time that I’ve gotten out of any one garment, specifically a pair of alpaca socks.  I bought my socks and a pair for Patti while hiking the Pacific Crest trail somewhere before Kennedy Meadows for $10.00.  I wish I would've bought more as they are the best socks I've ever worn.  I’m forever more spoiled wearing alpaca socks and will likely never go back to cotton socks.  For the time being I think I’ll let the five day record stand - they really never smell. 
For this jeep expedition I packed extremely light; and for the ease of traveling I shaved my head and did not pack shaving gear.  The red jeep draws lots of looks everywhere I go and since the other five jeeps that started with me are no longer around people just want to know where this California jeep is headed and where it’s been.  I’ve also gotten a few waves on the road from other jeep owners – similar to the Harley Davidson motorcycle riders who wave at any other bike coming the other way.    
Carson Hot Springs, WA - There is something about mineral hot springs that invigorates and charges up the body - I'm now sold on them and will go out of my way just to find one - my count so far is eight (8).  Perhaps it’s the ancient geothermal mineral water that activates our natural immune system and/or flow of oxygen rich blood.  Before using the Carson Hot Springs my stomach was full from lunch so I first took about a three mile hike down to the river behind the Carson Hot Springs attempting to find the source of the water and digest my lunch.  I did not find the water but found a rich old growth type forest and raging water before encountering a do not enter sign across a USFS bridge.  Across the bridge were what looked like a salmon counting station.  The trail back to the hot springs was steep as steep as the river bank.   
The Carson Hot Springs has eight cast iron bathtubs in a 1900’s era tile room.  One tub is set aside as the cold water soak tub; the others get filled as needed with 110+ degree water.  I had to add about two bucket fulls of cold water before I was able to get in. 
Jeff the attendant started telling me about the area and how the spring was actually found around 1875.  Jeff told me that the building I am now in was built in 1901 by a family member.  Apparently he was actually stabbed as a result of an argument with a customer over the medicinal value of the waters.  No arguments here – I’m sold on the medicinal value of Carson Hot springs and any other hot springs that I have visited so far on this jeep expedition. 
Beaverton, OR –  Stopped for the day and night to visit an old friend academy friend that I haven't seen since he left Los Angeles about 14 years ago.  Thank you Kevin & Delores for your great hospitality.    
Sister, OR - Today I arrived at Sisters, Oregon to visit my oldest son's in-laws.  Chuck & Mary have a beautiful home and it is a pleasure to spend time with them.  Chuck took me up to see where the Pacific Crest Trail runs through Sisters.  Perhaps one day I'll be able to hike the PCT through Oregon.    
Tomorrow I start for Redding, CA
See you on the mountain! 
Trawlercat  

No comments:

Post a Comment